- no items left in the bin, despite assurances from the online inventory check
- a single item left in bin, but damaged in some way
- item in the wrong bin
- item with no bar codes
- staff that don't know what they sell (notes 1 and 2)
- staff that don't know what you're talking about (notes 3 and 4)
- you are forced to use "self checkout"
- the self checkout is filthy and badly labelled with poor instructions
- the self checkout scanner is scratched up so badly it can't actually read the barcodes
- the on-hand staffers are computer illiterate and can't actually help you
note 3: On two seperate occasions, I needed elevator bolts and Chicago bolts. The fastener aisle was, as usual, a mess in terms of any logical presentation. Not a single person had any clue what these items might look like, and only a couple had the vague idea that I might want to "look in the section where the bolts are".
note 4: I needed to mount some pictures in frames with glass and backing boards so I went looking for glazier's points. Blank stares from the shop staff. I did get sent to a big aisle full of pre-hung windows. That salesperson also had no idea what these strange mystery items might be or where they could be found.